Sanssouci Bradenburg Germany – Little remains of the original, groundbreaking garden at Sanssouci commissioned by (Friedrich 2), King of Prussian, because it was later reworked into a great romantic landscape by Peter Joseph Lenne in 1822. Fortunately, though, the most distinctive features of the original garden have survived.
Sans souci means “carefree”. Friedrich desired a summer palace where he could live simple life, reading and philosophizing, free of the cares state. He began by ordering a vineyard to be laid out. This, of course, was no ordinary vineyard. The slope was sculpted into six huge, concave terraces to catch the sun. The walls were built of heat retaining brink studded with 168 niches. Vines were trained along the walls, and the niches were filled with figs. Glazed screens protected them from the weather.
A grand, central staircase bisected the terraces, with a monumental fountain at its food. From the topmost terrace, a pair of tree – lined avenues extended to either side, terminating in fanciful trelliswork pavilions decorated with golden stars.
Sanssouci Bradenburg Germany – All this can still be seen today. So can Friedrich’s other great treasure, an extraordinary Chinese teahouse topped with golden parasol and adorned with life-size, gilded statues of Chinese people. You also see Friedrich’s last resting place, next to his faithful dogs. In Sanssouci was declared a Word Heritage Site under the protection of UNESCO. With nearly 70 km of footpaths, and its collection of palace and follies, Sanssouci is far removed from FRIEDRICH’S dream of rural simplicity.
OWNER: PRUSSIAN PALACES AND GARDENS FOUNDATION